Cruising Back to Reality
Last week, I went on my first cruise, without my family. After more than a year of transitions, after more than seven years of doing almost everything for and with my children, after almost nine years without a “personal vacation” – I took a REAL vacation. About a year ago, my dear friend, Jennifer, invited me to go on a cruise. This is so much more than a much-needed girls’ night, which she knew better than I did of my need, and we began planning and saving. Then, the countdown began. When the time came to leave, I definitely felt ready for the escape. I DID miss my husband and children, but I also enjoyed the extended visit with a good friend, filling my bucket to overflowing.
I cannot wait to cruise again, even to introduce this amazing way to vacation to the rest of my family. Here are the top six reasons I fell in love with cruising:
- When we returned from breakfast, our beds were made and towels replaced. When we returned from supper, our beds were turned down and we had a new towel animal every night.
- I did not have to plan, budget, shop for, prepare, or clean up any of these delicious meals.
- Melted Chocolate Cake for Dessert. Every. Single. Night.
- Trying new foods, without guilt if we couldn’t finish it (we tried the ox tongue – which was good, but also a little weird). Revisiting favorites that reminded me of Europe (Caprese!)
- Once the water calmed down (the first part of our cruise was a bit choppy), the peaceful soothing feeling resembled being rocked to sleep.
- Almost nothing on earth beats this view:
As I ride out the rocky waves in this stage of life, I hold tightly to the handrails and pray no one falls overboard. This turbulent season will pass. We learn, grow, and make choices every day. I pray those choices keep us afloat and on course. Even as I rock with my cuddle bugs, I count the blessings that come with the trials.
Yes, EVERYONE (or every MOM) should cruise at least once!
Your pictures really make me want to go on a cruise! The food, the wonderful food… I’m going to go daydream about that for a little while.